Pages

Tuesday 23 February 2010

My Phrase of the Day - In the Doldrums

In the Doldrums - In low spirits; feeling dull and drowsy. Well that's certainly where I've been for the last couple of weeks, until yesterday that is. Origins (taken from The Phrase Finder) = The Doldrums is the region of calm winds, centered slightly north of the equator and between the two belts of trade winds, which meet there and neutralize each other. It is widely assumed that the phrase 'in the doldrums' is derived from the name of this region. Actually, it's the other way about. In the 19th century, 'doldrum' was a word meaning 'dullard; a dull or sluggish fellow' and this probably derived from 'dol', meaning 'dull' with its form taken from 'tantrum'. That is, as a tantrum was a fit of petulance and passion, a doldrum was a fit of sloth and dullness, or one who indulged in such. Well I don't like to think that I was 'indulging' in such low spirits but they were certainly present lol.



Now though I am cooking on gas. I started to play about with a photo and some of this months kits again last night and the beginnings of a page flew together really quickly. I've not done any more on it yet apart from take this little snapshot but the gym has been visited and I've sourced a new book to read - as if I didn't have enough books already lol. As is often the case I came across this book (The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman) via a circuitous route. Click here for a gander if you're interested - have a look inside the book and read the first few pages. I think it started with different recommendations from Amazon, and having read the few 'teasing' pages on Amazon, I'm hooked. Rather than buy yet another book though I have sourced this one through our on-line library and have reserved it. I just need to wait for it to arrive locally and for the grand total of 40p I'll be able to collect it. Given that it's a £12 ish book to buy, that's a massive saving. Hmm, now what stash could I buy with the money I've saved lol



No comments: